POSITION: Business Development Specialist
COMPANY: Fenwick & West LLP
LOCATION: This position can be based in any Fenwick Bay Area and Santa Monica (CA) offices.
Fenwick & West is a top-tier law firm with an open and inclusive culture. With more than 300 attorneys and 400 employees in the Silicon Valley, San Francisco, Santa Monica, Seattle and New York, we work with companies on the cutting edge of technology, life sciences and cleantech. For more than four decades, our Firm has helped some of the world's most recognized companies become and remain market leaders. We are proud to have been named one of the Best Places to Work in the Bay Area for the twelfth year.
Job Description Summary
Fenwick is seeking a Business Development Specialist who will further the firm’s marketing efforts through support of the corporate practice groups, and specifically the startup Bay Area sub-practice group, individual partners, senior marketing staff professionals and oversight of marketing coordinators and assistants. This position can be based in any of our Bay Area or Santa Monica (CA) offices.
- Assist in supporting partners’ business development ("BD") goals, including monitoring progress of their BD efforts and relationship management ("RM") goals.
- Take ownership of project timelines, advising on necessary lead time and ensuring deadlines are met.
- Track return on investment (ROI) on events and sponsorships by monitoring leads and opportunities.
- Prepare background research on event attendees prior to an event to help partners maximize and strategically think through event participation.
- Support and sometimes lead practice related events and sponsorships in consideration of BD, partner and firm goals. Coordinate event planning logistics including list development, promotion, vendor selection and management, execution and post-event participant engagement evaluation.
- Assist in reporting of key metrics and help identify and develop projects designed to improve event processes, increase event management efficiency, reduce cost and increase event engagement.
- Conduct research on clients, targets and competitors in order to inform strategic planning.
- Conduct competitive intelligence research and leverage industry best practices to recommend and facilitate innovative solutions, including refining existing programs and establishing new initiatives.
- Help with the implementation and maintenance of the Bay Area startup dashboard in Salesforce, including data entry and list maintenance. Assist BD Manager/Director in development of practice budget.
- Coordinate with other BD colleagues on current initiatives.
- Liaise with multiple offices, practice groups and other firm internal functions on cross-departmental events as appropriate.
- Coordinate the promotion of Fenwick branded and co-branded events through Marketo, the Firm website, social media and other distribution channels as appropriate.
Skills & Qualifications
- Promote a collaborative work environment focused on providing superior service to internal clients and external firm clients.
- Self-motivated, takes initiative and able to take ownership and handle multiple, complex projects simultaneously.
- Strong interpersonal skills and client service ethic with ability to respond quickly to requests.
- Attentive to detail and highly organized, productive and accurate under pressure with tight deadlines (a sense of humor helps, too).
- Strong problem-solving skills, including the ability to proactively provide solutions that circumvent anticipated problems.
- Understanding of law firm sales cycle and professional services BD best practices.
- Proficient in MS Office Products (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and Excel); CRM, marketing automation and event marketing tools (Salesforce, Marketo, Foundation).
- Understanding of the firm’s key technology industry focus areas including life sciences and digital health, games and esports, autonomous transportation, consumer/retailtech, blockchain/fintech, software.
- Excellent communication, grammar, spelling and proofreading skills.
- Ability to travel to work events and activities as necessary to support the BD team, with some evening and weekend programs.
Reporting to the Business Development Manager, the qualified candidate will have 5+ years of business development experience in a fast-paced professional services environment (law firm experience a plus). The candidate will also have experience coordinating complex projects (and working within deadlines). Experience working with vendors and negotiating contracts preferred. Bachelor’s degree required.