POSITION: Business Development Specialist - Corporate
COMPANY: Fenwick & West LLP
LOCATION: Any office location
Fenwick & West is a top-tier law firm with an open and inclusive culture. With more than 300 attorneys and 400 employees in the Silicon Valley, San Francisco, Santa Monica, Seattle and New York, we work with companies on the cutting edge of technology, life sciences and cleantech. For more than four decades, our Firm has helped some of the world's most recognized companies become and remain market leaders. We are proud to have been named one of the Best Places to Work in the Bay Area for the twelfth year.
Fenwick & West has an opening for a Business Development Specialist who will further the Firm’s business development efforts through support of the corporate practice and its individual partners, as well as senior business development staff. This position is responsible for assisting in the development of, promoting, implementing, analyzing and improving the effectiveness of the Firm’s business development efforts for the corporate practice including: branded and co-branded programs; webinars, MCLE and other thought leadership programs; sponsorships; client entertainment, networking and appreciation efforts; and other Firm strategic initiatives including diversity and alumni programs.
- Assist the Business Development (BD) Manager and Director in supporting partners’ business development goals, including monitoring progress of their business development efforts and relationship management (RM) goals.
- Take ownership of project timelines, advising on necessary lead time and ensuring deadlines are met.
- Support and sometimes lead practice related events and sponsorships.
- Prepare background research on event attendees prior to an event to help partners maximize and strategically think through event participation.
- Serve as lead responsible for producing an event in consideration of business development, partner and Firm goals.
- Coordinate event planning logistics including list development, promotion, vendor selection and management, execution and post-event participant engagement evaluation.
- Assist in reporting of key metrics that help improve the efficiency of the Firm’s business development and event goals.
- Help ensure that events are cost-effective, delivered on time and within budget.
- Help identify and develop projects designed to improve event processes, increase event management efficiency, reduce cost and increase event engagement.
- Conduct competitive intelligence research and leverage industry best practices to recommend and facilitate innovative solutions on event programs and execution, including refining existing programs and establishing new events and initiatives.
- Assist BD Manager/Director in development of practice budget.
- Liaise with multiple offices, practice groups and other Firm internal functions (e.g., FLEX by Fenwick, Diversity & Inclusion, Pro Bono) on cross-departmental events as appropriate.
- Coordinate the promotion of Fenwick branded and co-branded events through Marketo, the Firm website, social media and other distribution channels as appropriate.
Skills & Qualifications
- Promote a collaborative work environment focused on providing superior service to internal clients (our partners) and external firm clients.
- Self-motivated, takes initiative and able to take ownership of projects and handle multiple, complex projects simultaneously.
- Strong client service ethic and ability to respond quickly to requests from lawyers and leadership.
- Attention to detail and highly organized, productive and accurate under pressure with tight deadlines (a sense of humor helps, too).
- Strong problem-solving skills, including the ability to proactively provide solutions that circumvent anticipated problems.
- Understanding of law firm sales cycle and professional services business development best practices.
- Proficiency with MS Office Products (Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and Excel); CRM, marketing automation and event marketing tools (Salesforce, Marketo, Foundation).
- Understanding of the Firm’s key technology industry focus areas including life sciences and digital health, games and esports, autonomous transportation, consumer/retailtech, blockchain/fintech, software.
- Excellent grammar, spelling and proofreading skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to travel to work events and activities as necessary to support the business development team, with some evening and weekend programs.
Reporting to the Business Development Manager, the qualified candidate will have 5+ years of business development experience in a fast-paced professional services environment (law firm experience a plus). The ideal candidate will also have experience coordinating complex projects (and working within deadlines). Experience working with vendors and negotiating contracts is preferred. Bachelor’s degree required.