POSITION: Business Development Manager - Specialty Litigation
LOCATION: Boston, MA; New York, NY; Washington, DC
Make an impact at Goodwin, a global 50 law firm with a history of working on groundbreaking matters, and an increasingly focused approach to working with clients in the financial, private equity, real estate, technology and life sciences industries. Our more than 1,000 corporate and litigation attorneys leverage their specific experience and assemble full-service teams to advise clients in these and adjacent industries.
As the Business Development Specialist (Specialty Litigation), you plan organize and implement business development activities that support the global growth of the firm and specifically the practice(s) to which s/he is assigned. The Specialist must be a self-starter with the ability to work alongside the BD team, and independently, to guide, direct and advise lawyers in a sophisticated marketing and business development environment. The Specialist often serves as the front line of business development and marketing support to lawyers and professional staff across the firm.
Responsibilities include supporting initiatives that align with the groups’ marketing and business development plans; execution of client relationship-building activities; tracking and reporting on business development activities; and supporting effective thought leadership campaigns.
WHAT YOU DO:
- Conceptualize, initiate and support client relationship building activities and other activity that will help the firm to institutionalize its client base and grow top line revenue.
- Develop business development plans for the Specialty Litigation Business Unit and sub-practices of appellate, antitrust, energy and environmental law, labor and employment, global trade and products liability.
- Work with the partners in developing and implementing personal business development plans and network expanding activities.
- Track and provide monthly updates detailing business development activity and successes (win/loss ratios, referrals, return on networking investments, upcoming activities).
- Participate in the design and implementation of cross-BU and cross-geography business development initiatives, including client teams and broader initiatives.
- Where appropriate, participate in networking opportunities to directly generate new business opportunities for the firm
- Oversee research and related competitive intelligence activity for key clients and prospects, working closely with the Market & Competitive Intelligence leader. Monitor the business development strategies and related activity of key competitors.
- Prepare responses to RFPs/RFIs and daily pitch requests; working with the Director of Business Development and the Pricing and Project Management team in developing alternative fee arrangement proposals and other value adds.
- Work with BD Director to ensure integration of lateral associates, counsel and partners.
- Identify and prioritize key organizations and events in which the practice/partner(s) will participate.◦Develop and manage budget for practice-related marketing memberships, sponsorship and hosted events.
- Negotiate contracts, speaking slots and other related benefits.
- Develop targeted invitee mailing lists. Report on RSVPs and who-knows-whom.
- Attend events and assist attorneys with making connections at events; report on return on investment.
- Work with the Integrated Marketing Manager to ensure that practice descriptions, data sheets, web content and other marketing materials are compelling and up-to-date.
- Identify matter tracking activities for the practice and ensure appropriate details are captured in the experience management system for easy output to proposal materials.