POSITION: Business Development Manager
LOCATION: New York, NY or Boston, MA
Make an impact at Goodwin, a global 50 law firm with a history of working on groundbreaking matters, and an increasingly focused approach to working with clients in the financial, private equity, real estate, technology and life sciences industries. Our more than 1,000 corporate and litigation attorneys leverage their specific experience and assemble full-service teams to advise clients in these and adjacent industries.
As the Business Development Manager is a leader who possesses a client-focused mentality, is highly service oriented, and has the ability to guide, direct and advise lawyers in a sophisticated marketing and business development environment. Responsibilities include helping shape the strategic positioning within the context of the Goodwin brand for both the Financial Industry (“FIN”) business unit (which spans both litigation and transnational work) and the Fin-tech practice; supporting client relationship-building initiatives; facilitating cross-selling opportunities with other practice groups and geographies; lead generation; and identifying effective thought leadership opportunities.
What you'll do:
- Conceptualize, initiate and support client relationship building activities and other activity that will help the firm to institutionalize its client base and grow top line revenue.◦Develop business development plans for primary and sub-practices.
- Work with the partners in developing and implementing personal business development plans and network expanding activities.
- Track and provide monthly updates detailing business development activity and successes (win/loss ratios, referrals, return on networking investments, upcoming activities).
- Participate in the design and implementation of cross-BU and cross-geography business development initiatives, including client teams and broader initiatives.
- Where appropriate, participate in networking opportunities to directly generate new business opportunities for the firm.
- Oversee research and related competitive intelligence activities for key clients and prospects, working closely with our Marketing and Client Intelligence team to monitor the business development strategies and related activities of key competitors.
- Work with the Director on responses to RFPs/RFIs; working with various Business Unit BD Directors and the Pricing and Project Management teams in developing alterative fee arrangement proposals and other value-adds.
- Assist in the full and complete integration of lateral associates and partners.
- Identify and prioritize key organizations and events in which the practice/partners will participate.
- Develop and manage budgets for practice-related marketing memberships, sponsorships and hosted events.
- Negotiate contracts, speaking slots and other related benefits.
- Develop targeted invitee mailing lists. Report on RSVPs and who-knows-who.
- Attend events and assist attorneys with making connections at events; report on return on investment.
- Work with the Core Marketing and Communications teams on development of thought leadership campaigns.
- Work with the Core Marketing and Operations teams to ensure that practice descriptions, data sheets, experience lists, brochures, pitch decks, web content and other marketing materials are compelling and up-to-date.
- Identify appropriate matter tracking activities for the practice and ensure appropriate details are captured in the firm’s experience management system for easy output to proposal materials.
- Identify and manage review and submission of data for all relevant league tables and deal listings for corporate practices, as well as review and analysis of published results for practice leaders. Develop relevant client/prospect communications based on results and work with Communications group to identify league table rankings that merit external communications support.
- Work with the firm’s Communications team to create targeted, strategic submissions for practice-related and attorney rankings, surveys and awards, including Chambers, Legal 500, Am Law rankings, Best Lawyers and other industry-specific/geographic/attorney demographic awards programs.
- Work with the Communications team to develop and implement public relations strategies that further the group’s goal for positive media exposure and visibility.
Who you are:
- 3-5 years of progressive experience in a practice management, business development ideally in an AmLaw 100 or other large professional services firm.
- Previous experience in the financial industry is strongly preferred.
- Minimum BA, BS or degree equivalent.
- Travel: Required to other Goodwin offices. Travel approximately 25% but could be more.