POSITION: Marketing & Business Development Specialist
COMPANY: Goulston & Storrs
LOCATION: Boston, MA
The Marketing & Business Development Specialist will:
- Be a high-energy, creative professional with strong communication skills.
- Act as a key adviser to the Corporate Practice Group Co-Chairs and attorneys, proactively monitoring internal and external issues and trends affecting the practice, and suggesting initiatives and solutions to address them.
- Provide support to the Senior Manager, Strategic Growth, and the Real Estate Practice Group Co-Chairs and attorneys.
- Work with Business Development colleagues and individual attorneys to identify, develop and follow through on business development activities.
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT DEPARTMENT MISSION
The Goulston & Storrs Business Development Department is fast-paced, fast moving, exciting and entrepreneurial. Our goal is to set the standard for law firm business development departments. We will achieve this through our relationships externally and internally. Our collective commitment, as a team, is to:
- Provide education to our client (firm members)
- Infuse best practices thinking into all areas of sales and service
- Use analysis as the foundation for our approach to the market
- Create innovative targeted marketing materials and initiatives
- Support and enable the firm as a business and community leader
Practice Group Management:
Marketing & Communications:
- Work closely with the Co-Chairs and Directors of assigned practice and industry groups, as well as Business Development and fellow business operations colleagues, to develop and execute strategic action plans.
- Provide primary support to the Senior Manager, Strategic Growth, and the Real Estate Co-Chairs and attorneys.
- Serve as lead contact on assigned projects and as project manager from conception to follow-through to ensure efficiency and quality.
- Plan with lead Director(s), attend and run/present as needed for all assigned group meetings, tracking all action items and following up on same.
- Identify and execute opportunities for creation of content-selling pieces for assigned practice areas.
- Collaborate with Business Development colleagues to:
- Identify, evaluate and pursue profile-raising and thought-leadership opportunities in key industry and business publications through media relations, events and advertising.
- Serve as the “face” of the Firm at business and community events.
- Prepare nominations for awards and recognition opportunities.
- Maintain all Corporate and Real Estate pages of the website.
- Lead support for new business opportunities of assigned practice areas, including:
- Coaching attorneys on response/meeting strategy based on client needs, including ensuring diversity of proposed teams.
- Identifying competitive intelligence opportunities and researching/analyzing our competitors and clients, as needed.
- Preparing targeted, customized presentation materials and RFP responses.
- Coordinating additional internal resources, as needed.
- Following up on outcomes.
- Coach individual attorneys on creating business plans and applying the sales process to their clients, prospects and referral sources.
- Lead and support initiatives of the Sales Task Force and Business Development Committee, as assigned.
- Proactively identify connections for cross-selling across assigned practice and industry groups.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Proven ability to provide exceptional client service to external clients and internal stakeholders.
- Demonstrated understanding of sales support, theory and techniques.
- Maintain industry knowledge to effectively and confidently respond to questions.
- Meticulous attention to detail, including strong proofreading and business-writing skills.
- Strong MS Office skills.
- Bachelor’s degree required. An advanced degree is preferred, as is overall experience totaling more than 5 years.